Allo' Expat Chile - Connecting Expats in Chile
Main Homepage
Allo' Expat Chile Logo

Subscribe to Allo' Expat Newsletter
Check our Rates
   Information Center Chile
Chile General Information
Chile Expatriates Handbook
Useful Numbers
Immigration Information
Entry Visa
Work Permit
Chile and Foreign Government
Chile General Listings
Chile Useful Tips
Chile Education & Medical
Chile Travel & Tourism Info
Chile Lifestyle & Leisure
Chile Business Matters
  Sponsored Links

Check our Rates

Immigration - Entry Visa to Chile


Valid passport required by all except:

(a) nationals of Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Paraguay and Uruguay, provided not entering under commercial contract or as students or as immigrants, can enter with a special identity card (Cédula de Identitad) for short-term visits (except foreign residents of these countries who do need a passport);

(b) Chinese residents of Taiwan (China) and nationals of Taiwan, Mexico and Peru who have an official travel document issued by the Organisation of American States. Documents have to remain valid for six months after departure.

Note: Passports issued to children must contain a photo and state the nationality.


As regulations are subject to change at short notice it is advisable to check with the Chilean Consulate for the latest information. At present, a visa is not required by the following:

(a) nationals of countries mentioned in the chart above for a tourist stay of up to 90 days (except nationals of Greece, who can stay up to 60 days, and nationals of Latvia, who do need a visa);

(b) nationals of Andorra, Antigua & Barbuda, The Bahamas, Barbados, Bolivia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala, Honduras, Iceland, Israel, Jamaica, Korea (Rep), Liechtenstein, Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco, Montenegro, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, St Kitts & Nevis, St Lucia, San Marino, Serbia, South Africa, Surinam, Switzerland, Tonga, Turkey and Venezuela for stays of up to 90 days;

(c) nationals of Indonesia and Peru for stays of up to 60 days;

(d) nationals of Belize, Costa Rica, Malaysia and Singapore for tourist stays of up to 30 days;

(e) transit passengers continuing their journey on the same or first connecting aircraft provided holding required travel documents for onward destination and not leaving the airport transit lounge.

Tourist Card

If you did not arrange a visa before hand, you will receive a Tourist Card (Tarjeta de Turismo) when you enter Chile. At Santiago's Arturo Merino Benitez International Airport, the Tourist Card is issued at the immigrations desk. For most nationalities the tourism card is free. However, citizens of the USA pay $61, Canadians pay $55 and Australians $30.

The Tourist Card is valid for 90 days, but if you would like to stay longer, you can purchase a 90 day extension. To obtain the extension, you must present a photocopy of your passport, the original Tourist Card and a $100 application fee to the Foreign Legalisation Service (Departmento de Extranjería). The extension is usually issued upon application. If you leave the country and return, you will be issued a new Tourist Card upon entry.

If you enter the country through another port of entry, the duration of the Tourist Card may vary between 30 and 90 days. With a Tourist Card, you cannot technically work or take classes in Chile. You can change your status at the Foreign Legalisation Service.

If you lose your Tourist Card, you must obtain a replacement from the International Police (Policia Internacional) before you are permitted to leave the country.

Types of Visa & Cost

Tourist, Visitor (visa required for nationals of countries with no diplomatic relations with Chile), Residence (visa required if intending to carry out paid employment or study in Chile). Cost varies according to nationality of applicant. Enquire at the Chilean Consulate or Consular section of the Chilean Embassy for further information.

See more information on the next page... (next)





copyrights ©
2019 | Policy